Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Biggest Decision Of My Life...

... and I made the right choice :)  

  My breast surgeon recommended my left breast be removed due to DCIS & ALH.   Faced with a future of unsurity and coping with scans/mammograms/biopsies on my noncancerous breast, which showed several areas of ALH ... I made somehow found the strength to come to the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy.  Today Dr. Lee said she was happy (for the first time since I met her in September, '08) to tell me that she had 'good news' for us. 

  My pathology showed that no other Cancer was found in my breast tissue... they had clear margins of removing what was there... AND... that there was far more ALH in my left breast than she had anticipated.  Dr. Lee told David & I today that after seeing my path reports... she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I had made the right decision to have the bilateral.  

  I had already confirmed the decision in my heart and mind... hearing her say those words today still removed a weight from me that words could not begin to explain.  It was like a dark, cold, frightening blanket was literally lifted away from my body.  

  I sit here now and rub my weary eyes... for the first time in what seems like too long a time... recognizing the vast difference between a sigh of anxiety... and a deep, cleansing sigh of relief... 

  Maybe I'll actually sleep tonight... 

  Cancer is behind me... reconstruction and life... straight ahead :)

  Lisa xo

No comments: