Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I've Never Been On The Cover Of People Magazine...

Last night I watched a repeat of Christina Applegate's appearance on the Oprah Show.  I was glad that I hadn't seen it when it originally aired a few months ago.  It was amazing to feel so many different emotions... connections as I listened to her and the others on the program.  Nodding my head in all the right places, feeling my own lip quiver as I watched the eyes welling with tears on the screen.  

There were a couple of times that I was really disappointed in not only the lack of preparation on Oprah's part (she had no idea what Christina was talking about when she said she had 'expanders' in her chest) but also at the lack of open information on Christina's actual diagnosis (which I understand to be DCIS).  

My heart was filled with pain for her as I watched her describe how she first learned of her Cancer.  I squirmed in my seat as I felt her discomfort in explaining (what I saw as justifying') her 'Non Invasive Cancer Diagnosis'.  I felt pain for every woman who ever feels the need to explain her decisions, which may seem 'radical' to those who have never had to make the choices.  I mused at the thoughts of how we perceive 'celebrities', often thinking that they are some higher examples of ourselves.  I was ashamed to think that many would feel Christina's Breast Cancer was any more important than any of the audience members (or those viewing at home)... just because she is 'famous'.  

In the end though my feelings were more of gratitude.  Gratitude for Christina Applegate being brave enough to share her story, in hopes that other women will have more awareness, more access to early detection.  Gratitude for Nancy Brinker for devoting her life to her sister's memory in creating a foundation that changed the way the world sees Breast Cancer; Susan B Komen Foundation .  And most of all ... gratitude for finding the lump on my right breast and having it investigated early enough... to find that it was nothing but a harmless cyst... and also uncovering the DCIS in my left breast at the same time... 

No comments: