Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Keeping focused on "So Glad I'm Here"...


instead of 'How The Hell Did I Get Here"?!


David & I after finishing the Susan Komen 5k June/07/09

I expected it to be a surreal day... and it was indeed! Lots of mixed emotions, thankfully many of them good ones! This certainly isn't somewhere I'd projected myself to be a year ago... but what matters most is that I'm here and I've got some great people with me! David & I crossed the start line together and crossed the finish line just 20 seconds apart :) George, Yohko, June, Megan & Marshal were there to meet us!!

After looking for some time, I finally got to see a few of the women from the YSC group! We were scattered about with some of us running but most of the group did the Co-Ed Walk (Wendi did Both!! :) It was great to see some familiar faces and I have to admit, I found it more than a little unsettling to 'know' the eyes of every woman in a pink shirt :( ... yet also found comfort in the commonality of our 'sisterhood'.

My run was good, nothing spectacular... my time was 25:10 which is a nice, slow pace. I coasted through most of it, carried along by the adrenaline of the other runners. I did get a tiny spike of that 'runner's high' about 2/3 of the way through and thought for a moment how 'effective' it would be to strip away my top and bare my badge of justification for being there... but of course, I didn't and wouldn't. It's just that sometimes it's tough to 'look' fine and 'be' something else.

Hopefully the 1.7 million dollars (and counting) raised by this event... will be a part of the answer to finding a cure to Breast Cancer. So that someday we'll run for something else... and won't feel the need to bare our scars... to show the world the price that was paid for 'being here'...


No comments: