Saturday, September 20, 2008

Congratulations! You have Breast Cancer...

Congratulations! Seems strange to say that word in connection with cancer, but I’ve been diagnosed with a type of breast cancer DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) that latest statistics show is 98% to 99% curable. (And sadly, “cure” isn’t a word that’s heard in connection with all breast cancers.)

I am writing this blog for several reasons; to keep anyone who wants to know what's happening informed, to keep information straight for myself and to get some release through keeping a journal. To get things started I'll backtrack over what's happened over the past couple of weeks and include links that will help explain what the medical terms mean.

This all started with my finding small lumps close to the surface of my right breast a couple of months ago. Thankfully I finally had medical insurance through David's coverage and was awaiting my appointment with my new doctor (Dobrina Okorn) at Swedish Medical Center just up the street from us in West Seattle on August 13th. During the exam the doctor & I discussed the lumps, which she examined and agreed that they should be better looked at and that I was long overdue for a Mammogram. The Swedish Breast Cancer Center called me with my appointment for September 2nd.

It became evident on my first visit to the Breast Cancer Center that they look after matters very quickly. What I thought would be an hour for a Mammogram turned out to be about 4 1/2 hours. They actually have Oncologists on hand to view images as they are taken and when they saw my first films it was decided that I should have 'Microscopic Mammograming' done. After those images were viewed I was called back in to have Ultrasound done. During these scans I was informed that the lump I was initially concerned about was a harmless cyst but they had found Microcalcifications in my left breast. I found this slightly ironic, but in retrospect had I not been concerned about the lump, who knows if what turns out to be the 'real issue' would have been found? It was explained that calcium deposits are very normal but that when they cluster together it becomes a signal that something could be wrong. One of the first concerns is that Cancerous cells could hide inside the clusters. It was decided that I would have a Stereotactic needle biopsy on the site of the Microcalcifications which was scheduled for two days later on Sept. 4th.

The most painful part of my first needle biopsy procedure was actually not the procedure but the situation (I'm sure a Man designed the table the procedure is performed on :p ). You have to remain very still with your breast dropped through a hole in the table for about an hour. Since my delicate little breasts don't drop very far, I couldn't afford any 'pillowing' under me so not the most comfortable situation. They elevate the entire table and work from below you with a Mammogram machine. They make a very small incision at the site they have marked and insert the needle which draws the samples. I found this pretty uncomfortable but it didn't last very long. A small, metal clip was left in the site as a 'marker' that would show up on future Mammograms to allow them to locate the exact area where the samples were drawn from.

Other than a slightly sore breast and a moderate level of concern on the outcome of the biopsy, I was sure this was going to be just an inconvenience and a reminder from the Universe to thank my lucky stars for all I have in life. I received the call with the results on Monday, Sept. 8th and was very relieved to learn that they had found no Cancerous cells in the biopsy. (I'm already fuzzy on when/why I was instructed to make the first appointment to see the Oncologist? so it's a good thing I'm going to try to keep better track of this!) I was to meet with Dr. Lee on the following Monday, Sept. 15th. When I met with her she told me that although the site biopsied came back as negative for Cancer, she had found two other sites (one in my right breast and a second in the lower, left of my left breast) of Microcalcifications in the images from my mammos/ultrasound that she wanted to be biopsied; this was scheduled to be done on the following day Sept. 16th.

The second round of needle biopsies didn't go as well as the first. They were able to easily get images on the area on the left breast but couldn't achieve the same with the right. The radiologist made the decision that they would only biopsy the left at that time. Her reasoning was that if the second area on the left came back negative (as the first one had) that they would just keep an eye on the site in the right breast with a follow up mammogram in 6 months. On Thursday, Sept. 18th I received the call with the results of the second biopsy... Ductal Carcinoma In Situ :( I realize it's the 'best of the worst' ... but really not the information I was hoping for ... nor was I expecting. Reality is a bitch sometimes... but it is what it is... and has to be dealt with.

The next steps from here are to see a Cardiologist to find out what the story behind my Heart Murmur is? It is something that has been mentioned to me several times over the years by doctors but I'm not sure anyone ever investigated to find the cause or type? It is something that needs to be uncovered prior to having a sedative necessary for whatever kind of surgery is ahead of me.

I was also to have a follow up consultation with Dr. Lee (Oncologist) on Monday, Sept. 22nd which was canceled yesterday as she would like me to have an MRI done prior to seeing me again. I'm assuming it will allow her to better plan what our next steps will be.

So... Long story long :p and hopefully it won't become epic! From the reading I've been doing there is great success with Lumpectomies with DCIS and that Chemotherapy is not necessary. There is often follow up with Radiation which I understand isn't painful and is often said to feel like a 'sunburn' on the treated area. Most people who undergo radiation treatment continue to work... so all this may not even interrupt my job search :p :) I'll keep posting here as things transpire so that you can check into see what's happening if you like. I am very thankful for all of you and truly treasure your love and support in all of my life's trials and tribulations!

Lisa xo

*Post Edit Jan/30th/2009*

Somewhere along the way I remembered that I had referred to Dr. Christine Lee as being an Oncologist... which is incorrect... she is a Breast Surgeon.  Rather than just edit the text I thought I'd post this note for anyone who starts reading this from the beginning :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Sweet Lisa... You are such a brave and thoughtful person. Not only have you the trauma to deal with but you so informatively let all of us who think the world of you know what is going on! You are truly amazing. I will talk to you privately but just know how much I think of you!!!! Love always, Renae

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa:
My name is Bernadette Shaw, and I am a cousin to you. My mother was Jenny, Louis' sister. I live just outside Toronto, in Orangeville, Ontario and have just finished a 19month treatment for Mastecomy peformed May 8/07. It is now Sept.23/08. A long haul, but worth every minute. Stay strong and please feel free to write or call me...anytime. My email address is: bernie-bill@hotmail.com. If you contact me I will be happy to give you my home phone number.
Take care, Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Just one more thing Lisa. I would be very, very selective when "surfing the net" for info. You may just alarm yourself (not necessary) and get info that is confusing and not applicable to your case. Instead, perhaps you should think about getting specifics from your health care providers, the local hospice centre is also a good source of info as well as support at this time. I know that your world is totally upside down right now, but hang in.....it really does right itself. Just try to stay calm...ha, ha says she...Bill (my husband) and I simply "lost it" when we got the news! Be very gentle with yourself you need all your energy to recoup and recover.
Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

I was reading the guardian this morning.............and October is Celiac Awareness Month here on PEI...
Anyway..........in reading the article I came across this interesting info that you may know or not....

Persons with celiac disease are known to have higher rates of anemia, osteoporosis, type 1 diabetes, tyroid problems,,,and certian types of CANCER such as lymphoma........
The article is in the guardian September 24/2008 page C3
www.THEGUARDIAN.PE.CA

Take Care,
Tanya xoxoxoxo

Mike Esslinger said...

Hey you...

Tera and I went through a similar "process" a couple of years back. I just wanted to let you know that you guys (both you and Dave) are in our prayers. Prayer is an amazing, AMAZING source of power.

I'll be talking with you. And, if you two need anything, you know where we are.

Love you both...

Tanya said...

Love
Tanya Patrick Bailey & Taylor
x0x0x0x0x