Wednesday, December 23, 2009

364 Days Ago...

I sat in this very spot, looking at the snow piling up outside our West Seattle window... through tear filled eyes... trying to get my head around what lay in front of us. Deconstructions, reconstructions, looking for Cancer lurking in other parts of my body... wondering how not only could I get through this... but if my Husband of just 10 months would be there with me... when I reached the other side.

This morning I look out at the green grass on the school playground... the sun rising, pink daylight... kissing the clouds 'Good Morning'... I think about all that's happened over the past year, the fear and hope and tears and laughter and realize with a sigh of relief... that we are almost at the end of this leg of our personal 'Amazing Race'. I know there will be other trials and tribulations... *shrugs* that's what Life is all about! but I don't mind admitting that I'm very happy to put this part to rest.

Do I worry that the 2% chance I have of having another 'Breast Cancer' in my life time... will it be the 100% of 2%? No more than I worry about getting hit by a bus... or lightening... or Cancer ravaging some other part of my body. We're all dying... we start dying the moment we are born. The trick is not to waste precious Life... pondering how we will (and we all will) one day lose it.

This Christmas I will be present... not worrying about the future... or regretting the past... just 'here' soaking in everything around me, truly realizing how rich my life is with 'gifts' every day. I have all I want and none of it could be wrapped in paper and tucked under a tree, I have the most precious gifts of all... Peace, Love, Health and Soundness in my heart... I wish everyone the same :) My wonderful husband is indeed not only by my side... but on my side! and I on his!! As we embark on the continuing journey that is our life together, he prepares for the challenge of climbing Mt. Rainier to raise money for Breast Cancer Research... and though I won't actually be beside him on the climb, I will be doing everything I can to make it all happen... and will always be on his team!

Lisa xo

2 comments:

Nature Girl said...

Beautiful Post Lisa. My 2010 be full of all things wonderful for you and David. Love, Carol ox

Unknown said...

WOW Lisa, a friend sent this to me. And here I sit, in your husbands shoes. Knowing that I will be beside her every step of the way. Supporting, loving, laughing and crying. We are at the beginning of this journey, where you were a year ago. We found out on Nov. 16th, she had a double mastectomy on the Dec.16th and had a second surgery on the 28th to remove cancerous nodes. We are scared and hopeful, heartbroken but feeling stronger as we head into warrior mode to battle the next many months on chemo and then radiation. Thanks you for writing this as it was inspiring to see through a window we hope to be looking out this time next year.

Our best to you,

Kaje Thomas

kaje@fullcirclelifecoaching.com