Thursday, January 29, 2009

You've GOT To Be Kidding...

Have you ever noticed when you say those words... "You've got to be kidding/joking"... that whoever (or whatever the circumstance) you utter the words to (or about)... is generally anything but a 'joke'.  

With that in mind... 

I have a surgery booked for this coming Wednesday (Feb/4th) for a matter totally unrelated (I hope) to my Breast Cancer.  While going through my list of 'woes' with Dr. Okorn a couple of weeks ago, we spoke about my continuing to have unusually heavy/irregular periods and much more pain than I'd experienced in the past.  She suggested I go to see a gynecologist to discuss the possibility of having an Endometrial Ablation.  I wasn't really sure I could handle (physically or mentally) taking on any more than I already had on my plate... but the doctor told me I really should at least find out what was causing this.

  So... I'll add yet another doctor to my list... Dr. Karen Jones.  I got in to have an ultrasound done on the day of my first visit with her on Jan/21st.  During the ultrasound the technician excused herself and said she had to have a doctor check over the images to make sure she had all she needed to send back up to the Gyn.   After waiting about 5 min, she returned with a doctor to check out something she was seeing that she was unsure of on the images.  She assured me it's not an 'alien' (thankfully :p) but we still don't know what the 'area  of concern' actually is.

  I had a follow up with Dr. Jones on Jan/28th and she explained that regardless of whether it's a 'good time' to be having another surgical procedure, we really have to find out what this is.  She explained that she won't know what it is until the tissue is seen and possibly still won't know what it is until results come back from pathology (usually four days after surgery).  Most likely is a benign fibroid (which I am hoping for!).  It could also be just an unusually thick area in the wall of my uterus, a benign tumor on the inside wall or... something worse... I'll leave that for when/if I have to worry about it.  

  Before all this came up... I was anxious about my upcoming consultation with Dr. Miles (plastic surgeon) for my final meeting with her prior to my breast surgery.  My meeting with Dr. Miles is scheduled for Wed/Feb/4/10:30am... Now I have to focus my thoughts on how I can get from one side of Swedish Medical Center (after seeing Dr. Miles) to check in at Patient Registration at 11:00am for my surgery with Dr. Jones which is scheduled at 1:00pm!

  Maybe this is the Universe's way of keeping me on my toes?? Perhaps in my next life I'll come back as a Prima Ballerina :)

No comments: